Connect with us

International

Bodies Of Service Members Killed In Kabul Airport Attack Arrives US

Published

P

resident Biden traveled to Dover Air Force Base Sunday morning to receive the bodies of 13 American service members who were killed in an attack at the Kabul airport in Afghanistan.

The president and first lady Jill Biden were both greeted by Col. William C. McDonald, Vice Commander of the 89th Airlift Wing; Sarah Husemann, wife of Col. Matthew S. Husemann, Commander, 436th Airlift Wing; and Col. Chip W. Hollinger, commander of the Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations at Dover Air Force Base.

Eleven Marines, one Army soldier and a Navy corpsman died in a suicide bombing outside Hamid Karzai International Airport on Thursday. The ISIS-K group claimed responsibility for the attack seeking to disrupt the massive evacuation effort of Americans, Afghan allies, and third-party nationals outside the U.S.-held airport.

Read Other Related Articles:

 

 

The fallen service members are Marines Staff Sgt. Darin T. Hoover, Sgt. Johanny Rosariopichardo, Sgt. Nicole L. Gee, Cpl. Hunter Lopez, Cpl. Daegan W. Page, Cpl. Humberto A. Sanchez, Lance Cpl. David L. Espinoza, Lance Cpl. Jared Schmitz, Lance Cp. Rylee J. McCollum, Lance Cpl. Dylan R. Merola, Lance Cpl. Kareem Nikoui, Navy Hospitalman Max Soviak, and Army Staff Sgt. Ryan Knauss.

The attack took place as U.S. forces were working to evacuate Americans and allies from Afghanistan following the Taliban’s takeover of the country earlier this month. At the same time, they have been working to ensure their own withdrawal by the end of the month.

According to the White House, the U.S. has evacuated and facilitated the evacuation of roughly 114,400 people since August 14.

…Fox News Contributed To This Report

International

Guinea Coup: Soldiers Say President Taken And Govt Dissolved

Published

G

uinea’s special forces claimed Sunday to have captured President Alpha Conde and “dissolved” the country’s institutions, in a video sent to an AFP correspondent, while the defense ministry said it had repelled their attack on the presidency.

“We have decided after having taken the president, who is currently with us (…) to dissolve the current constitution, to dissolve the institutions; we have also decided to dissolve the government and the closure of land and air borders,” said one of the uniformed and armed coup plotters in the statement, which has also been widely circulated on social networks but has not been broadcast on national television.


Read Other Related Articles:

 

 

The coup plotters, with whom AFP’s correspondent confirmed the source of these images, broadcast a video of President Conde in their hands. They ask him if he has been mistreated, and Alpha Conde, in jeans and a shirt on a sofa, refuses to answer them.

For its part, the Ministry of Defense said in a statement that “the insurgents (had) spread fear” in Conakry before taking the direction of the presidential palace, but that “the presidential guard, supported by the defense and security forces, loyalists and republicans, have contained the threat and pushed back the group of attackers.

AFP

Continue Reading

International

We’ll Not Forgive, We’ll Hunt You Till You Pay – Biden Vows Revenge On Kabul Terror Attack (VIDEO)

Published

U

nited States President Joe Biden promised to track down and destroy the ISIS-K terrorists, who were responsible for the deaths of 13 American service members and dozens of Afghans in a double suicide attack on Kabul Airport.

He made the promise on Thursday, August 26, as he joined UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson in vowing to continue evacuation efforts in Afghanistan despite a “continued” risk of terrorist bombings.

The ISIS-K terrorist group is an offshoot of the terrorist organization Islamic State and an adversary of the Taliban, who control the country (IS).

ISIS-K claimed responsibility for the double bombing last night, August 26, which killed at least 90 people and injured more than 150 others.

Among the casualties were 11 US Marines, a US Navy medic, and another US service member screening evacuees at airport gates.


Read Other Related Articles:

 

The Abbey Gate of Hamid Karzai International Airport, where US troops were screening Afghans for evacuation, and the nearby Baron Hotel, where thousands of Afghans, Britons, and Americans had been told to gather in recent days before heading to the airport for evacuation, were both targeted in the bombings.

Biden paid tribute to the “selfless heroes” who died while rescuing Afghans.

Despite the fact that the Pentagon is in the process of withdrawing all of its forces from Afghanistan, the Pentagon has warned that there is still an imminent threat of an attack at the airport and has now been directed to develop strike plans to target ISIS-K assets and leadership.

“Those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this: We will not forgive, and we will not forget,” Biden said in a White House address.

He added: “We will hunt you down and make you pay.”

The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom also condemned yesterday’s terror attack, which is not believed to have killed any British troops or officials.

He also vowed to keep the rescue effort at Kabul airport going, where brave British troops were seen sweeping the perimeter last night following the double bombing.

Continue Reading

International

At least 21 dead in Tennessee floods as dozens remain missing after torrential rains

Published

A

t least 21 people have been killed by flooding and dozens are missing in just one Tennessee county after more than 15 inches of rain deluged the central region of the state, trapping some residents in neck-high water.

The death toll in Humphreys County climbed to 21 as of Sunday afternoon, according to the local emergency management agency, and 45 people were still missing as crews went house to house.

It’s not clear whether there have been any deaths in neighboring counties. The National Weather Service (NWS) issued a flash flood emergency on Saturday for Humphreys, Houston, Dickson and Hickman counties. A stretch of Interstate 40 had to be closed on Saturday as more than 15 inches (over 380mm) of rain fell in Humphreys County and parts of Hickman County got nearly 12 inches (305mm).

Read Other Related Articles:

 

 

The Piney River rose to nearly 32 feet (9.75m) in Hickman County, exceeding a previous record of 20 feet (6m), according to the NWS. The measure was seven feet above major flood stage.

The Nashville area and other parts of central Tennessee have historically been hit by major floods, including a 2010 disaster that killed 31 people in three states and caused $2.3 billion in property damage. At least four people were killed by flooding in the region in March, then the worst inundation since 2010.

However, Humphreys County Sheriff Chris Davis told Nashville’s Tennessean newspaper that Saturday’s flood was the worst he has seen in 28 years with the department. NWS meteorologist Krissy Hurley called the latest disaster “catastrophic.”

People are trapped in their homes and have no way to get out… Water is up to their necks. It is catastrophic – the worst kind of situation.

The hardest-hit areas were directly west and southwest of Nashville, in towns such as Waverly and McEwen. In the county seat of Dickson, at least 11 water rescues were reported. The Tennessee National Guard, the Tennessee Highway Patrol and the Nashville Fire Department, among other agencies, sent crews to Humphreys County to help with rescue and recovery efforts.

Continue Reading