Connect with us

Security Report

Fulani Attack: MEND And PANDEF Vow Dragon War If Delta Is Attacked

Published

T

he Pan Niger Delta Forum on Monday warned that there would be grave consequences should the threat of attack by faceless Fulani jihadists group be carried out in Delta State.

The spokesman for PANDEF, Ken Robinson, in an interview with The PUNCH, cautioned that the Niger Delta region would respond appropriately if the threat by the unknown Fulani jihadists was carried out.

He was reacting to a letter said to have been pasted at strategic points in Asaba by anonymous jihadist group threatening to attack some areas in Delta State, including Agbor and the state capital.

Reads Other Related Articles:

 

 

He said, “Let them try it and see. The consequences will be too grave for the country. Any attack on any community in Delta state is an attack on the entire Niger Delta, and we will respond appropriately. Nigeria will never be the same again if they try it.

“But I think this is taking their stupidity too far. Their erroneous arrogance is being tolerated for too long. If any community in Delta State is attacked by any faceless Fulani group, the consequence will be too dire for the country because the Niger Delta people will respond appropriately.”

Meanwhile, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta has issued a counter-threat against the suspected Fulani jihadists.

In a letter titled, ‘Response to Fulani threat to Okowa on open grazing ban by the Southern Governors’, MEND said if the threat was fulfilled, there would be “dragon war”.

It read in part, “We are warning that if your threat is made to come to fulfilment, no Fulani will ever exist across the Niger Delta and all oil facilities linked to a Fulani will be brought down.

“If one soul is lost, 10 Fulani souls will pay for it. If one facility is destroyed, 10 Fulani facilities will be destroyed. We will respond proportionately 10 times whatever you give, the corresponding response will not be limited to the Delta.”

There was, however, palpable fear in Delta State, especially in Asaba, Agbor and its environs, following the threat letter issued by suspected Fulani jihadists on Sunday to attack the state.

In Asaba, Agbor and its environs, residents were seen in clusters, discussing in low tone and expressing fear over a possible attack.

They urged the Delta State Government not to treat the attack letter with levity.

However, the Command spokesman, Bright Edafe, who stated this on Monday, said undercover police operatives had been deployed across the state for the purpose of gathering intelligence on the matter.

In a related development, the leadership of Fulani in the state has distant themselves from the purported letter threatening to attack the state.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Security Report

DSS manhunt: Igboho trying to get new passport, flee Nigeria, says FG

Published

T

he Federal Government has said Yoruba Nation activist, Sunday Adeyemo, aka Sunday Igboho, is trying to acquire a new passport to flee the country.

It added that the government had placed Igboho on the stop-list in order to facilitate his arrest and directed the security agencies to apprehend him anywhere he is found.

In the security circle, a person whose name is on the stop-list is denied all constitutional rights and privileges a citizen is entitled to.

The Federal Government’s directive against Igboho was contained in a letter by the Nigeria Immigration Service dated July 9, 2021, addressed to the Director General, Department of State Services, the Inspector General of Police and the DG, National Intelligence Agency.

The activist, a spearhead of the separatist agitation for the Yoruba Nation, had been declared wanted by the Department of State Services on allegations of stockpiling arms to destabilise the country, which he has since denied, but his whereabouts remain unknown.

Read Other Related Articles:

 

 

The whereabouts of Igboho, a lead figure in the separatist agitation for the Yoruba Nation, has been unknown since he narrowly escaped arrest during the July 1 midnight raid by the secret police, ahead of a major rally in support of the call for Yoruba Nation in Lagos.

Following the bloody raid on Igboho’s Sooka residence, the DSS arrested and detained 13 of Igboho’s associates, adding that during a “gun duel,” it had killed two of Igboho’s supporters later identified as Adogan and Alfa.

 

The International Criminal Court, on Tuesday, acknowledged a 27-page petition filed by Yoruba Nation agitators signed by the Leader of Ilana Omo Oodua, Emeritus Professor Banji Akintoye; Igboho; and 49 Yoruba self-determination groups.

The petition was filed against the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd); the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN; former Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai; and former Inspectors General of Police, Ibrahim Idris and Muhammed Adamu.

They accused the Nigerian leaders and security chiefs of genocide and crimes against humanity against the Yoruba people of Ekiti, Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Ogun, Okun Land in Kogi, and Kwara states.

The NIS letter issued to facilitate Igboho’s arrest was signed on behalf of the Comptroller General of Immigration by Assistant Comptroller General of Immigration, Investigation and Compliance, A.B. Baba.

The letter titled ‘Stop-listing of person: Adeyemo Sunday Adeniyi (aka Sunday Igboho), male, Nigerian, passport number A11613637, date of birth 10/10/1972’ was copied to all zonal controllers and control posts nationwide.

It read, “I am directed to request that you kindly place the above-named person on stop-list. Credible intelligence revealed that Adeyemo is making efforts to obtain a police extract and/or court affidavit to enable him acquire a new Nigerian passport, apparently to facilitate his escape out of the country.

“In addition, he should be arrested wherever and whenever sighted and referred to the Director-General, Department of State Services vide letter no: S.605/A/246 dated 05 July 2021.”

Continue Reading

News

Fire service workers to start carrying AK-47 – Aregbesola

Published

T

he Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, has disclosed the federal government’s intention to create an armed unit of the Federal Fire Service. This unit will be called the “Fire Police,” and their duty would be to provide armed outer cordon during operations.

Mr Aregbesola made the announcement in Jos, Plateau State, at the opening of the National Council on Fire, a statement by the Director of Press, Blessing Lere-Adam, said on Saturday in Abuja.

The latest quest arm the fire service follows similar push by the Federal Road Safety Corps, an outfit simply set up to maintain order and safety on Nigerian roads, to arm its officers with assault weapons.

The statement says that this decision is “part of efforts to address the challenges often faced by firefighters during operations, through mob action and vandalism of firefighting assets in the country”.

Read Other Related Articles:

 

 

A source privy to the deliberations told Peoples Gazette that AK-47 rifles would be among the weapons to be approved for deployment once implementation commences.

At the event, Mr Aregbesola, represented by the interior ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Dr Shuaib Belgore, mentioned that: “the Ministry would initiate the process of repealing the 1963 obsolete Fire Service Act and enactment of a new contemporary, vibrant, and enforceable law, through the instrument of an Executive Bill to be forwarded to the National Assembly for deliberation and eventual passage into law”

Mr Aregbesola added that fire safety management could become a tool for not only national security but also national development as assets protected in the event of fire outbreaks would allow the government to use the country’s “very lean resources” for other development programs instead of reconstructing said assets.

 

Continue Reading

Community Report

How Triger-Happy Police Officer Killed 5 In Enugu State

Published

T

he police command in Enugu has confirmed five persons dead in Golf Estate after a police officer attached to a company went berserk and attacked a compound.

The police also disclosed that four persons were seriously wounded due to the attack that took place on Sunday at about 9:30 a.m. in Golf Estate GRA.

Commissioner of Police Mohammed Aliyu confirmed the incident in a statement issued on his behalf by the command’s spokesman, ASP Daniel Ndukwe.

Mr Aliyu explained that the police officer had been arrested and taken into custody pending the conclusion of an investigation.

“The state’s Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Aliyu, has ordered the deputy commissioner of police in charge of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department to carry out a thorough investigation to unravel the circumstances surrounding the shooting incident.

“The incident involved a police inspector attached to the Special Protection Unit (SPU) Base 9, Umuahia, Abia and said to be on duty at a lottery company located within the Golf Estate.

Read Other Related Articles:

 

 

“The commissioner, who made the order after visiting the hospital where four of the persons said to have sustained gunshot injuries are receiving treatment.

“Five others, whose injuries were critical, have been confirmed dead by doctors on duty and deposited in the mortuary for autopsy,’’ the police statement said.

The police commissioner also directed the swift conclusion of the investigation of the incident to aid further necessary actions by the police authorities.

Meanwhile, Mr Aliyu sympathised with the victims’ families and urged them to remain calm and cooperate with the police in the ongoing investigation.

He called on witnesses at the scene of the incident to volunteer useful information that would aid the thorough and swift conclusion of the investigation.

(NAN)

Continue Reading